Not every business needs a fleet of refrigerated trailers year-round, but may benefit from having access to some when the need arises. It can sometimes be more cost-effective and convenient for a business to lease trailers in relation to demand for goods, rather than take the plunge into investing in a fleet.
Fleet Investment Vs. Short-Term Rental
For businesses that are either just starting up and lack surplus capital to invest in non-necessities or businesses that only sometimes need to ship large quantities of refrigerated goods, leasing trailers from a reefer company may be a viable option. You will want to do the calculations to figure out whether the cost of renting is offset by the profit margin, but if so, it may be worth it. However, if you are a large business that foresees a huge amount of shipping in coming years, it may be wiser to make the investment in your own fleet.
But if long-distance refrigerated shipping is an occasion rather than a regular part of your business, such as a business that experiences a higher demand during the holiday season or a business that experiences a sudden spike in short-term demand, renting is a safer option. If that demand continues on an upward pattern, then it may be worth it to consider investing in a fleet. Until then, weigh your options and still get the job done with reliable rentals.
Benefits of Trailer Rental
- Buying a trailer fleet is a long-term investment that may take years to pay off, while renting refrigerated trailers here and there for infrequent shipping is much more cost-effective.
- You won’t have to pay for upkeep or maintenance.
- You will usually be protected under some sort of liability agreement while on the road.
- No need to pay for storage of the trailer.
- Allows you to focus more on central business activities than fleet management.
- No burden of owning and maintaining the vehicle, or facing unexpected losses if the vehicle breaks down.
- Flexibility and convenience of rental options from short-term rentals or long-term leases.
- You more easily calculate the all-inclusive price of the rental rather than costs incurred from managing the property.
Whether you rent or own refrigerated trailers, it may be comforting to know that dependable reefer units are available for rent for any unexpected or overflowing cold storage shipping needs. Having more business than expected and needing a way to ship goods is a fortunate problem to have!